Who doesn’t love a good banana bread? My Nana used to make banana bread for us everytime we would see her. It was always one of my favorites growing up and now my kids love it just as much! Once my sisters and I learned to cook we started making banana bread all the time. We even started calling it “Nana Bread”. Her recipe is one of my favorites and one I have played with over the years.
This banana bread is your standard banana bread – simple and delicious. There are many additions and substitutions that can be made as well depending on your personal preferences.
To get started you’re going to combine the coconut oil and sugar. In the original recipe, my Nana used Crisco. I have also used vegetable oil, butter, etc. Pretty much any fat will work. I wouldn’t recommend doing a full swap for applesauce though because it won’t yield the same consistency.
Next, add in the eggs and stir to combine.
Next, add the baking soda and HALF of the flour. Stir to combine.
Time to mash the bananas. The recipe calls for 3 but I find if the bananas are on the smaller side I like to use 4. Once my bananas are very ripe on the counter I stick them in the freezer. (There’s always a supply ready for baking!) I find that the banana bread gets a better flavor and consistency when I use frozen bananas. If I forget to pull them out ahead of time I flash them in the microwave really quickly (in the peel, you won’t be able to get the peel off while they are frozen). Another bonus with frozen bananas… not much mashing is necessary!
Once your bananas are mashed you are going to add HALF and stir to combine. My daughter wanted to join in the fun today so we made two!
Continue with the remaining flour and then the remaining bananas.
This time we didn’t add any additions but the following are optional:
1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
My personal favorite is to add a half cup of chocolate chips and a half cup of chopped walnuts.
Once your done combining all of the ingredients pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 60-70 minutes or until done in the middle.
Classic banana bread.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or fat of your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3-4 mashed bananas (depending on size)
- Optional additions: 1/2-1 cup of the following: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, coconut, peanut butter, peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar and coconut oil.
- Add in eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of flour, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add in half of the mashed bananas. Stir to combine.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- If adding chocolate chips, nuts, etc. add now.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. (Can also be made into 12 muffins).
- Bake for 60-70 minutes (18-25 minutes for muffins) or until done in the middle.
- Cool and enjoy!