Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of my favorite foods to order when we go out. It’s going to start getting “cold” here in South Florida next week so I figured it was time for soup. I’ll be honest… it’s NEVER cold enough for soup here but we need to take advantage any time the temperature is going to be below 80!
This recipe is very simple to make, but will take some patience. First, you’re going to melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Then, add in the garlic, chopped onion and shredded carrots. Sauté until soft about 5-8 minutes.
Next, add in the broth and chopped broccoli. Cover the pot and let it boil. Make sure the broccoli is in small pieces so it can quickly cook through and is easy to eat with a spoon.
Once your broccoli is very tender lower the heat and wait for the broth to stop bubbling. Then, you are going to SLOWLY begin adding your cheese just a little bit at a time and stir until it’s melted. Be sure to use pre-shredded cheese because it already contains a little bit of cornstarch which will help to thicken the soup a bit. Also, if you add the cheese when the broth is boiling it may seize and clump together.
After you’ve added all of the cheese, use an immersion blender to blend up a portion of the soup (or put 1/3-1/2 of the soup in a blender and pulse a couple times to break up the broccoli). This step helps to thicken the soup and break up the cheese that was binding together with the broccoli. The other way to thicken without blending is to add more cheese, but I thought it was perfect without more.
Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
If you removed some soup to blend, return it to the pot, cook on low for a couple more minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper! That’s it!
If you enjoyed this recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup and are looking for more soup recipes, click here!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Cheesy, creamy, broccoli cheese soup.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups broccoli cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop onion, broccoli and garlic. Shred carrots.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and carrots. Cook 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil and simmer until broccoli is tender.
- Lower heat. Once broth is no longer bubbling slowly add cheese. Stir between each addition to help it melt. **If heat is too high the cheese may seize up.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend up about 1/3-1/2 of the soup.
- Stir together over low heat for a few minutes then enjoy!