My children LOVE applesauce. They eat it by the gallon and we go through dozens of pouches a month. For a long time I have mixed canned pumpkin with unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon for them; so I thought why not give this recipe a shot. I never hesitate when I think I can sneak some extra vegetables on their plates!
I have never cooked with a whole pumpkin before! I’ve only used the canned stuff. About 2 minutes into chopping up the pumpkin I started to rethink my plan… they are not an easy feat. Even the little pie pumpkin like I used. You’re going to remove the skin and seeds and chop the flesh into small chunks. Then, do the same with the apples and pears. Removing the skin will yield a much smoother (and prettier) applesauce. We decided to work on Henry’s knife skills today… while Stella kept stealing apples out of the crock pot.
Put all the cut pumpkin, pear, and apples into the crock pot. Then, add in 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon and lemon juice and stir to coat. The lemon will help keep the apples and pears from turning brown.
Cover and cook on low for 3.5 hours. The fruits and vegetable will cook down a lot and produce some juice. Next up is blending. Either an immersion blender or stand up blender will do the trick. I added a quarter cup of water to the crock pot to help my immersion blender out a little bit. Of course, you can add more depending on the consistency you prefer.
And that’s it! The best part is there is NO added sugar!!
Pear Pumpkin Applesauce
Homemade Pear Pumpkin Applesauce made in a crock pot.
- 1 pie pumpkin
- 3 red delicious apples
- 3 Bartlett pears
- Juice from 1/2 of lemon
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Remove skin and seeds from pumpkin and chop into small pieces.
- Peel, core and chop apples and pears.
- Add all pumpkin, apples and pears to crock pot.
- Add in cinnamon and lemon juice and stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 3.5 hours (or until tender).
- Blend up fruits and vegetable with immersion or stand up blender. Add water as necessary to make desired consistency. (I added 1/4 cup.)
- Cool and store in refrigerator.