One of my husband’s favorite meals is Shepherd’s Pie. He’s currently the only one in the house that eats it… but I think he prefers to keep it that way! He gets to keep his big batch of Shepherd’s Pie all to himself. This meal does have it all: protein, vegetables and mashed potatoes!
There are two parts to this recipe that you can do simultaneously. First, wash, peel and chop your potatoes. Then, put them in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until easily pierced with a fork.
While you’re waiting on the potatoes, in a large pan, start to saute the mushrooms. I like to buy them pre-washed and chopped. Next, add in your ground beef. Cook until all beef is browned and break up into small pieces. Stir in cream of mushroom soup.
Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray and pour in the beef mixture.
The next layer is your corn and creamed corn. Pour on top and spread out.
Back to the potatoes… Once they are ready drain out the water. Then, add sour cream and butter. Mash and combine. Then, season to taste with salt and pepper. I used Kerrygold’s Garlic and Herb butter in the mashed potatoes. It’s quickly become one of my favorite butters to use, and it adds lots of flavor without extra seasoning.
Once your potatoes are ready spread them over the corn. Don’t worry, it won’t be perfect but it will be delicious.
Finally, bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until bubbling around the edges.
Let sit for a few minutes and then enjoy!
Classic Shepherd's Pie.
- 2-2.5 pounds ground beef
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 russet potatoes
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold garlic and herb butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash, peel and chop potatoes. Put in pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until easily pierced with a fork.
- In large pan, saute mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Break up into small pieces. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir to combine.
- Spray large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour in beef mixture.
- Top beef mixture with corn and creamed corn. Spread evenly on top of beef.
- Drain potatoes. Add butter and sour cream and mash to combine. Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of corn layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until bubbling around the edges.