I love breakfast! It is undeniably my favorite meal of the day and the kids and I will do “breakfast for dinner” at least once a week. Even though it’s one of my favorite meals I need it be easy and quick on school mornings. This recipe is for a casserole loaded with protein and green vegetables that can easily be made ahead of time and warmed as needed over a few days. It can also be varied by adding your favorite cheese or vegetables.
The recipe is pretty simple and will definitely save you lots of time during the week. Prep on a Sunday night and you’ll have breakfast for the next couple days.
First, brown the sausage in a large saute pan. While the sausage is browning chop broccoli into very small pieces and steam in the microwave with a little bit of water. It should only take about 3 to 4 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave.
Next, also while the sausage continues to cook, crack your eggs and add the half and half. Whisk together until eggs are scrambled. Add a little sprinkle of pepper and stir in.
Once your sausage is browned add your spinach and broccoli to the saute pan. Cook until spinach is wilted. Isn’t it crazy how spinach just disappears like that?
Then, grease your 9×13″ pan and pour the sausage and vegetable mixture in.
Next, pour eggs on top and try to even out the meat and vegetables in the dish.
Next, spread your cheese on top.
Finally, bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until eggs are set (they won’t jiggle when you move the pan).
Slice and serve.
Sausage Egg Casserole
Egg Casserole with sausage, broccoli, spinach and cheese .
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups spinach
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- Sprinkle of pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large sauté pan begin browning sausage.
- While sausage is browning, chop broccoli into small pieces and steam in the microwave about 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli and spinach to sausage once browned and cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, half and half and pepper. Stir to scramble eggs and combine well.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Pour in sausage and vegetable mixture.
- Next, pour in eggs and spread evenly through meat mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!