This Hamburg Soup is the perfect meal for winter. It’s loaded with veggies and goes great with any bread or rolls you decide to pair with it. I first had this soup from my mother-in-law years ago. I don’t know that I ever got the actual recipe from her or if I just kind of figured it out on my own. I actually never measured anything I put into the pot until today!
This soup could definitely be made in the crock pot as well as on the stove. All you would do is brown the beef then add everything to the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
For the stove top, first you are going to chop up the onion, carrots and celery.
Next, heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add vegetables, salt and pepper and cook, stirring every couple minutes, until the vegetables start to become tender and fragrant. About 10 minutes.
Next, add your ground beef and cook until browned and broken up into little pieces.
Then, add your crushed tomatoes, beef broth and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Now it’s time to cook your pasta. Cook the pasta in a separate pot according to the package directions.
I prefer to cook the pasta separate and keep them separate in the refrigerator so that the noodles stay al dente instead of absorbing all of the liquid from the soup. Also, I use ditalini noodles but any small pasta will work if you can’t find that shape.
Finally, once your pasta is done pour 1/2-1 cup of noodles into your bowl, top with soup and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 whole carrots
- 5 stalks celery
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (plain)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb pasta (ditalini or any small pasta)
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Chop onion, carrots and celery.
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add vegetables, salt and pepper to oil and cook about 10 minutes until vegetables start to become tender and fragrant.
- Add in ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up into small pieces.
- Pour in tomatoes, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook pasta according to package in separate pot.
- Serve soup and noodles together and top with parmesan cheese.
Ground turkey or chicken can be substituted for the beef. Flavor will not be affected but nutritional information will.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 76mg Sodium: 1124mg Carbohydrates: 31g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 32g