Mmm… a classic favorite. This recipe is kid approved with no extra seasonings or *gasp* a crunchy baked topping. My kids love their macaroni and cheese super plain so they love this recipe. Also, Henry got to work on the stove for the first time today!
First, cook your macaroni according to the package in salted water. Once cooked pour into strainer and set aside. You’re going to use the same pot to make your cheese sauce. To make the roux, melt the butter over medium-low heat then stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
Next, add your milk and stirring constantly bring to a boil. Stir until thickened slightly about 3-4 minutes. Lower heat and slowly add the cheese stirring after each addition so cheese melts thoroughly. Taste sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. (My kids aren’t a fan of pepper they can see so I added pepper to my own bowl after I served it.) Once all cheese is melted add cooked macaroni back to pot and stir to coat all pasta.
Serve and enjoy!
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to packaging. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and whisk constantly 2 minutes to cook flour.
- Add milk and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until thickened about 3-4 minutes.
- Lower heat and slowly begin to add cheese. Stir well between additions. Continue to stir until all cheese has been added and is melted. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked macaroni to sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!