Chicken Marbella… a delicious chicken dish with capers, green olives and prunes! I know it sounds like an interesting combination however this dish wins with everyone! My mother-in-law has made it for years and I have been making it myself for a few years now and it pleases everyone. Plus, the recipe is big enough for a crowd. Bonus? The kids loved it tonight too! I love when I find meals that the whole family eats! Tonight I served the chicken with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli (I did have to add cheese to that so the kids would eat it, but hey you can’t win them all).
This recipe originally came from “The Silver Palate Cookbook” by Sheila Lukins and Julie Rosso. I have made a few slight changes but nothing dramatic… we can never have too many olives and prunes in ours so feel free to adjust those amounts.
The dish is so simple! All you are going to do is combine all the ingredients except for the brown sugar, wine and parsley and let them marinate for 4 hours to overnight (the longer the better).
Once you’re ready to make your chicken you will move it over to a large baking dish and pour brown sugar and wine on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Finally, remove bay leaves and sprinkle with parsley! Serve and enjoy!
- 5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (Original recipe called for 2 chickens, quartered. Any part of the chicken will work.)
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes
- 1 1/2 cups green olives
- 1/2 cup capers with juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except brown sugar, wine and parsley.
- Marinate for 4 hours to overnight.
- Put chicken in a large baking dish and pour brown sugar and wine on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!