Risotto…. creamy and delicious! If you haven’t had risotto yet, what are you waiting for?? It does take some patience at the stove but it’s totally doable at home. This risotto is loaded with squash, onion, seasonings, cheese and topped with bacon. Does it get much better than that?
To start you’re going to bring your chicken or vegetable broth and butternut squash to a simmer. I like to buy the already cooked squash. It’s sold in the frozen section and makes this recipe much easier than starting with the entire squash. While that heats up you’ll heat your oil in a large sauté pan on low heat. Once warm add chopped onion, garlic salt and pepper. Let cook 2-3 minutes then add rice and stir to coat it in the oil and seasonings. Next, add your wine and cook on low heat until rice absorbs all of the wine.
Slowly add broth/ squash mixture about a cup at a time. Stir frequently until it’s absorbed and then add more. Continue to add broth/ squash mixture until all has been added and absorbed. You’ll notice it gets creamier and creamier with each addition.
Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese and top with bacon! Serve and enjoy!
Butternut Squash Risotto with Bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, rough chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/3 cup frozen cooked butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- Bring chicken broth and butternut squash to a simmer.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil on low heat.
- Add onion, garlic salt and pepper. Cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat in oil and seasonings.
- Add wine and stir to deglaze pan. Cook on low until all wine is absorbed.
- Slowly, one cup at a time, add broth/ squash mixture to rice. Stir frequently until absorbed. Continue additions until all broth/ squash mixture has been used.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Top with chopped bacon.
- Serve and enjoy!