These biscuits will make your house smell so delicious and they are very simple to make. We decided to turn ours into breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs and cheese today! I know they will pair well with anything… especially Hamburg Soup. They are super soft with a slight hint of sweetness.
To start, add your yeast to the water and let it stand for 5 minutes. Then, combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Next, cut in your shortening until it is a fine crumble. Last, add your yeast and buttermilk. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Next, turn the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Knead the dough lightly about 5 times. It will be sticky to be sure to use plenty of flour on your hands and underneath. Then, roll your dough out until it is 1/2″ thick then cut with a round biscuit cutter. You can use any size, but keep in mind the baking time will vary. For our biscuits we used a 3-inch cutter. I wanted them on the larger size for the sandwiches.
Once they are all cut out (you will have to roll out the dough a second or third time to use it all up) place the biscuits on a pan sprayed with cooking spray and brush them with melted butter.
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown. (About 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your biscuits.) Enjoy!
Servings: 10-24 depending on size
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- Combine yeast with warm water. Stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening until it is a fine crumble. You can use a fork or pastry blender to do this.
- Stir in yeast and buttermilk until just moist.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Put dough on floured surface and knead 5 times.
- Roll out dough to 1/2″ thickness. Cut with desired round cutter.
- Place on greased baking pan and bake at 450 degrees until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes depending on size.
- Serve and enjoy!