This apple pie is melt in your mouth delicious. The combination of apples gives it enough sweet and tart at the same time. Plus, you get the perfect creaminess with the sugar and flour inside. We served the pie room temperature with whipped cream, but I can only imagine how perfect it would be warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
First, peel, core and chop your apples into thin slices. Coat them in the orange juice to keep them from browning. Next, add in cinnamon, flour, salt, and sugars. Toss to combine.
For this pie, I used the pre-made Pillsbury pie crust that can be found in the refrigerated section. You will need both crusts that come in the box: one for the top and one for the bottom. Unroll the first crust into the bottom of the pan and make sure it is centered and pressed firmly into the pie plate. Pour in apple mixture and spread apples to even them out. Next, unroll second crust on top. Mix your egg with a little water to use as an egg wash. Put a little egg wash in between the two crusts to help keep them connected. Then, roll the top crust a little on the edge (so it isn’t hanging over the edge). If you can, pull the bottom crust in a little to help seal the edges together.
Lastly, brush the entire top of the pie with egg wash and use a sharp knife to vent the pie crust. You can do this in any design you choose.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden. I recommend putting a baking sheet on the rack below to catch any juice that may drip out of the pie plate.
Let cool or serve warm and enjoy!
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- Juice from 1/2 orange
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 9″ pie crusts, unbaked
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss apples in orange juice.
- Add cinnamon, flour, salt and sugars. Toss to coat well.
- Unroll first crust into bottom of pie plate and make sure it is centered. Press firmly into pie plate.
- Pour in apples and make sure they are evenly spread in plate.
- Make egg wash: scramble egg with a little water.
- Top with second crust.
- Connect top and bottom crust with egg wash. Roll top crust over so it isn’t hanging over the pie plate.
- Decorate crust how you choose.
- Egg wash the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden.
- Let cool or serve warm. Enjoy!