We went to an Italian restaurant with my family over the weekend and I had a bowl of Italian wedding soup. It was so good that I decided I needed to come home and recreate it as best as I could so we could have it multiple times this week. It was so delicious and I’ve already had the leftovers twice.
First, you need to make the meatballs. Combine the pork, beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Italian seasoning and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper. Then, form them into tablespoon or smaller sized balls. I made about 40 with my batch.
While the meatballs are baking in the oven chop your onion and carrot. Heat a large pot over medium heat, spray with pan spray and add the onion and carrot. Let them cook until they begin to soften.
Next, add your bay leaves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots and onion are tender. Then, add orzo and cook about 10 minutes or until orzo is tender. Remove bay leaves and stir in spinach and meatballs.
Serve and enjoy! We added some toasted baguette slices to our soup to soak up the extra broth!
Italian Wedding Soup
Italian soup filled with vegetables, pasta and savory meatballs.
- 8 oz ground pork
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 carrots, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, stems removed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pork, beef, egg, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and sprinkle with salt and pepper lightly.
- Roll into tablespoon or smaller sized meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Spray with pan spray and add onion and carrots. Cook until they begin to be tender.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add orzo and cook about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves and then stir in spinach and meatballs. Cook about 2-3 minutes to wilt spinach.
- Serve and enjoy!