We always have very ripe bananas stored in our freezer and sometimes it gets a little out of control. These Banana Scones are delicious and are another way for us to use up those bananas.
This recipe is also lighter on the sugar and fat plus I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour for a little more nutritional value. I made these in the evening for super quick breakfast the next day.
Do you keep a stock of frozen bananas in your freezer too? If you are looking for more ways to use them up aside from these Banana Scones here are a few suggestions: Banana Bread, Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread, Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal, PB&J Smoothie, and Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl. Also, if you are just a fan of all things breakfast, like us, click here.
Lightly sweet banana scones.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp butter, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, for topping
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and stir well.
- In a small bowl combine vanilla extract, egg whites and mashed bananas.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add in banana mixture and stir just until combined. The mixture will be sticky.
- Lightly flour the counter and turn bowl of dough onto counter.
- Knead 4-6 times to get dough to come together some more.
- Shape into a 9″ circle and move onto baking sheet.
- Top dough with brown sugar and lightly press it into the surface.
- Using a knife mark the dough into 12 pieces. Cut into the dough but NOT all the way to the bottom.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes until lightly golden on the outside.
- Let cool, slice and enjoy!