Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
Oh boy, one of my favorite snacks to buy is chocolate covered almonds so I thought it would be a good idea to make my own snack at home to have in place of them. There’s this one brand in particular that is the perfect mix of sweet and salty… needless to say there isn’t much self control happening when one of those bags enter our home! Today I decided to try a new combination of ingredients for protein bites from my favorite Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites and they are delicious!
What’s new? I used blue agave syrup instead of honey because it is supposed to be a lower glycemic sweetener and therefore not affect your blood sugar levels as much. (I got it right at my local grocery store.) Also, instead of pre-made peanut butter I used whole roasted and salted almonds. Lastly, coconut flour instead of oats and I love the flavor that was my end result.
For this recipe, you are going to start by grinding up your almonds in a food processor with the olive oil. Continue grinding until it is very small meal… it won’t be completely smooth. Then, add in the rest of your ingredients except for the chocolate chips and combine in the food processor. Next, remove the food processor off of the base unit and take out the blade. Add your chocolate chips and stir well.
Finally, shape into 1-inch balls. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about a week or in the freezer for a month. I don’t think they will last that long in your home, but just in case!
Chocolate Covered Almond Protein Bites
Protein Bites with the delicious flavor of Chocolate Covered Almonds.
- 2 cups whole almonds, roasted and salted
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup blue agave syrup
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Using a food processor, grind almonds with oil until it resembles very small meal. It will not be completely smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients except for chocolate chips. Pulse to combine well.
- Remove from food processor, and remove blade from bowl. Add chocolate chips and stir well.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 1 week or in freezer for up to 1 month.