Pizza is probably the most popular take out food in the United States… and for good reason. It’s delicious, fast and most people love it! Pizza is simple to make at home as long as you have some time to make your dough beforehand. Plus, the smell of making your own pizza at home is worth the work!
This is definitely a recipe you could get the kids in on whether its making the dough or having them top their own pizza afterwards. This recipe makes 2- 12 inch pizzas but could easily be split into 4 or 6 smaller personal size pizzas.
The first step to making the dough is blooming your yeast. Simply combine warm water (105-115 degrees) with the dry yeast and sugar. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Then, add 3 cups of flour (save the rest for the kneading process), oil and salt. Stir until a soft dough is formed.
Next, is the messy part! Flour your work surface (I usually do this over parchment paper so its easier to clean up) and dump the dough out of the bowl. Add flour a little bit at a time while kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes. To knead the dough push your palm into the middle, fold the top over and then turn. Continue until the dough is smooth and add flour as necessary until it is no longer sticky.
Once the dough is smooth, grease a bowl with oil or non-stick cooking spray and place inside. Spray the dough as well so it doesn’t dry out. Cover with a towel and let sit 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size. Here in Florida where it is warm and humid this took about 30 minutes. If you are in colder weather it may take closer to 40 minutes. Don’t rush it!
Punch the dough down, and cover for another 30-40 minutes for it to double in size again! Now, comes the fun part. Split the dough in half and on a floured surface roll out your dough to the desired shape and size.
Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake at 400 degrees until crust is golden brown and cheese is golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
If you like a low carb crust, check out our Cauliflower Pizza Crust!
Homemade Pizza Dough
Top this homemade pizza dough with your favorite toppings.
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water (not hot! about 105-115 degrees)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Combine sugar, yeast and water. Stir to dissolve. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil and salt to yeast mixture after 5 minutes.
- Stir to combine. Dough will be wet.
- Flour the counter and dump out dough. Add flour a little at a time while kneading. Knead for about 5 minutes. Dough will be smooth and elastic.
- Spray a bowl with cooking spray to keep dough from sticking. Drop dough in and spray the top of the dough with spray to keep from drying. Cover with towel and let rise for 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and let rise a second time 30-40 minutes until doubled in size again.
- Split dough in half and roll out 2 12″ crusts on a floured surface.
- Top with your favorite toppings and bake at 400 degrees until pizza crust is golden and bottom of pizza is cooked through. If you prefer a crispy crust, bake the dough before topping for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, cut, serve and enjoy!