This Very Berry Spinach Applesauce is sure to be a hit with your kids, plus it has hidden veggies and NO ADDED SUGAR! I added about 2 large handfuls to this batch but could probably have gotten away with more. Test it with your kids and if they love it try to sneak in more the second time you make it. The blueberries help to cover the “color” of the spinach they would notice if it was just apples and spinach. If your kids love applesauce be sure to check out our Pear Pumpkin Applesauce and Crock Pot Blueberry Applesauce as well!
How to make Very Berry Spinach Applesauce:
To make this applesauce, peel, core and dice your apples and add them to your large saucepan. Add the frozen berries and cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until apples are tender. This should take about 20 minutes. Then, add your spinach and cinnamon and cook until spinach is wilted.
Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend the applesauce until it is smooth. If you don’t use frozen berries you may need to add a little bit of water to thin it out. Let cool and then store in your refrigerator for a week or 2.
Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 5 apples, gala or a sweet red
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Combine apples and berries in a large saucepan. Cover and cook on medium heat until apples are soft. Stir frequently.
- Add spinach and cinnamon. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender or pour into a blender. Blend until smooth. If needed add a little bit of water to get desired consistency.
- Cool and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve and enjoy!
Perfect to sneak extra veggies into your kids meals. There are no added preservatives so this applesauce should be consumed in 7-10 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: about 4 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 25mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 26g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g