This Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl is the perfect at home version of an acai bowl. I have a friend to thank for my introduction to acai bowls and I know I am WAY late on this one. However, better late than never! We went to a healthy restaurant and grabbed one of these for lunch and I was hooked. At that moment, I knew I needed to find a way to make these on my own.
Unfortunately, the only way to know (for the most part) what is in your food is to make it yourself! It took a little experimenting to figure out how to sweeten up the acai without adding any sugar or artificial sweeteners. If you are used to your acai being very sweet you may want to add honey or your preferred sweetener. I found this to be sweet enough to kick the bitterness from the acai.
How to make your Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl:
To make the acai for the bottom of your bowl, in a food processor blend together: 1 frozen banana, 2 frozen strawberries, 1 packet of frozen unsweetened acai and 1/4-1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk. I found my acai packets at Trader Joe’s. You should be able to find it at most large grocery stores if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your area. Follow the directions on the acai packet to make it easy to remove from the package!
Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
Pour the mixture between 2 bowls (or make 1 large bowl) and top with any toppings of your choice. Below I list the toppings I used in my peanut butter banana acai bowl! If you make 2 bowls and both aren’t used right away, store the second one in the freezer in an airtight container and defrost slightly before serving.
Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl
Homemade acai bowl loaded with healthy toppings.
- 1 acai packet
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 frozen strawberries
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (depending on the consistency you prefer)
- 1 banana
- peanut butter
- hemp seeds
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Blend together your frozen banana, frozen strawberries, frozen acai (defrost slightly to remove from packet) and milk.
- Divide into 2 bowls or make 1 big serving. Put into freezer for 10-15 minutes to help it stay cold longer.
- Top each bowl with sliced banana, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup granola, and a sprinkle of hemp seeds and coconut.
- Serve and enjoy! If you only eat one serving store the other in the freezer in an airtight container and defrost slightly before eating.