Who loves eggplant? This combination of Fried Eggplant with Arugula Caprese Salad is perfect for summer! Also, the salad can be put together in just a few minutes while the eggplant is frying and you are good to go.
How to fry the eggplant:
I prefer to peel my eggplant, however either way you like your eggplant will work for this dish. To start, prep the eggplant by peeling (if desired) and slicing into 1/4″ pieces. Then, before you set up to bread the eggplant, begin to heat your oil in a large pan. I like to use my shorter pasta pot for this so that the oil doesn’t end up all over my stove. Heat about 1/2- 1″ of oil over medium heat in your pan.
To bread the eggplant, coat in cornstarch (for extra crispiness), then the beaten eggs, and finally Italian bread crumbs. Then, fry the eggplant in the oil for about 2-3 minutes on each side. The oil will be hot enough if it starts to bubble immediately when you add a slice of eggplant. Don’t add too many slices at a time because it will drop the temperature of the oil and they won’t cook quickly. Also, this will allow more oil to be absorbed making the eggplant taste oily. Let the eggplant cool on a plate with paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
Make the salad:
While waiting in between batches of eggplant, combine your mozzarella pearls, tomatoes, basil, vinegar and olive oil. Then, let sit and marinate. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve the tomato mixture on top of a bed of arugula alongside the fried eggplant and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy our Fried Eggplant with Arugula Caprese Salad! If you are looking for more vegetarian recipes here are some of our favorites: Forbidden Rice and Beans, Basil Parmesan Risotto, Warm Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad, and Almond Mandarin Quinoa Salad. For a full list of vegetarian recipes, search vegetarian in the search bar!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 2 small eggplants or 1 large
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 oz mozzarella pearls (or chopped mozzarella)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arugula, for serving
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Prep the eggplant for frying. Peel, if desired, and chop into 1/4" thick pieces.
- Start to heat the oil in a large pan with higher sides over medium heat. You will need about 1/2-1" of oil in the pan.
- Coat the eggplant in cornstarch, then eggs, and then breadcrumbs. Set aside to fry.
- Fry the eggplant a few pieces at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side. The oil should bubble right away when the eggplant is added. If it does not, let it heat up for a few more minutes.
- While the eggplant is frying, combine the mozzarella, tomatoes, oil, vinegar and basil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the eggplant with the tomato mixture over a bed of arugula. Enjoy!
Use a pot with high sides to fry the eggplant to avoid splatter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 589mg Carbohydrates: 53g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 16g