Who loves eggplant? This combination of Fried Eggplant with Arugula Caprese Salad is perfect for summer! Also, the salad can be put together in just a few minutes while the eggplant is frying and you are good to go.
How to fry the eggplant
I prefer to peel my eggplant, however either way you like your eggplant will work for this dish. Prep the eggplant by peeling (if desired) and slicing into 1/4″ pieces. Then, before you set up to bread the eggplant, begin to heat your oil in a large pan. I like to use my shorter pasta pot for this so that the oil doesn’t end up all over my stove. Heat about 1/2- 1″ of oil over medium heat in your pan.
To bread the eggplant, coat in cornstarch (for extra crispiness), then the beaten eggs, and finally Italian bread crumbs. Fry the eggplant in the oil for about 2-3 minutes on each side. The oil will be hot enough if it starts to bubble immediately when you add a slice of eggplant. Don’t add too many slices at a time as it will drop the temperature of the oil and they won’t cook quickly and allow more oil to be absorbed. Let the eggplant cool on a plate with paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
Make the salad
In between batches of eggplant, combine your mozzarella pearls, tomatoes, basil, vinegar and olive oil. Let sit and marinate. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve the tomato mixture on top of a bed of arugula alongside the fried eggplant and enjoy!
Fried Eggplant with Arugula Caprese Salad
Crispy fried eggplant with a light argula caprese salad.
- 2 small eggplants or 1 large
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 oz mozzarella pearls (or chopped mozzarella)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arugula, for serving
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Prep the eggplant for frying. Peel, if desired, and chop into 1/4″ thick pieces.
- Start to heat the oil in a large pan with higher sides over medium heat. You will need about 1/2-1″ of oil in the pan.
- Coat the eggplant in cornstarch, then eggs, and then breadcrumbs. Set aside to fry.
- Fry the eggplant a few pieces at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side. The oil should bubble right away when the eggplant is added. If it does not, let it heat up for a few more minutes.
- While the eggplant is frying, combine the mozzarella, tomatoes, oil, vinegar and basil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the eggplant with the tomato mixture over a bed of arugula. Enjoy!