This Basil Parmesan Risotto is so delicious and pretty simple to make if you have a little time on your hands. If you haven’t made risotto before it is a simple dish but one that does take some time and attention. I promise… it’s worth it!
To make Basil Parmesan Risotto:
The first step to making your risotto is getting all of your ingredients ready. Chop the onion and basil, measure the wine, rice and cheese, and heat up the broth. I used vegetable broth however chicken would work well too! I wouldn’t recommend water in place of broth because of the lack of flavor that will create.
Once your ingredients are ready, bring your broth to a boil. In the mean time, add your olive oil to a pan and heat over medium heat. Then, add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until soft. Next, add the rice and stir to coat in the oil.
Now, add your wine and cook until absorbed, stirring frequently. The more you stir your risotto the creamier (without even adding cream) it will become! Once the wine is absorbed, begin to add the broth about 1/2 cup at a time. Between each addition stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue to add broth until all is absorbed.
Finally, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the basil on top and serve immediately!
If you love risotto be sure to check out our recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto with Bacon!
Basil Parmesan Risotto
Creamy and delicious risotto.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 5-6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil. Chop onion and basil.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add rice and stir to coat in oil.
- Add wine and stir to deglaze pan. Cook on low and stir to absorb all wine.
- Slowly add broth 1/2 cup full at a time. Be sure to stir very frequently. Continue additions until all broth is added and absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Top with basil, serve immediately and enjoy!