This Forbidden Rice and Beans is delicious and packed with tons of protein! I love rice and beans as a meal or side dish because it is so filling. One of my friends recommended that I try this rice from our local Earth Fare grocery store so I had to give it a shot!
Why Forbidden Rice?
Forbidden Rice offers lots of health benefits that traditional rice misses the mark on. This rice cooks in about the same amount of of time as white or brown rice so it makes for an easy swap for more nutritional value. Tried forbidden rice and don’t like it? Use this same recipe and swap for a different kind of grain!
Also, the combination of rice and beans together offers a complete protein that is perfect for a vegetarian or vegan meal. Then, add some peppers, onions, lime juice and cilantro and you have an explosion of flavor and a healthy dish!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add rice and stir to combine with vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until most broth is absorbed.
- Add in navy beans and cover. Finish cooking until all broth is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, lime juice, and garlic salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
Forbidden rice can be found in most grocery stores in the specialty grains section.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1146mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g