This Forbidden Rice and Beans is delicious and packed with tons of protein! I love rice and beans as a meal or side dish because it is so filling. One of my friends recommended that I try this rice from our local Earth Fare grocery store so I had to give it a shot!
Why Forbidden Rice?
Forbidden Rice offers lots of health benefits that traditional rice misses the mark on. This rice cooks in about the same amount of of time as white or brown rice so it makes for an easy swap for more nutritional value. Tried forbidden rice and don’t like it? Use this same recipe and swap for a different kind of grain!
Also, the combination of rice and beans together offers a complete protein that is perfect for a vegetarian or vegan meal. Then, add some peppers, onions, lime juice and cilantro and you have an explosion of flavor and a healthy dish!
Like this recipe? Be sure to check out: Simple Black Beans, Cheddar Grits with Black Beans, and Polynesian Power Grain Bowl. If you try this recipe of any others be sure to let us know! Follow and tag us on Instagram @returntothekitchen.
Forbidden Rice and Beans
Forbidden black rice with navy beans, peppers, onions and cilantro.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add rice and stir to combine with vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until most broth is absorbed.
- Add in navy beans and cover. Finish cooking until all broth is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, lime juice, and garlic salt.
- Serve and enjoy!