These Buttermilk Biscuits will make your house smell so delicious and they are very simple to make. We decided to turn ours into breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs and cheese today! I know they will pair well with anything… especially Hamburg Soup. They are super soft with a slight hint of sweetness.
How to make biscuits:
To start, add your yeast to the water and let it stand for 5 minutes. Then, combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Next, cut in your shortening until it is a fine crumble. Last, add your yeast and buttermilk. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Next, turn the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Knead the dough lightly about 5 times. It will be sticky to be sure to use plenty of flour on your hands and underneath. Then, roll your dough out until it is 1/2″ thick then cut with a round biscuit cutter. You can use any size, but keep in mind the baking time will vary. For our biscuits we used a 3-inch cutter. I wanted them on the larger size for the sandwiches.
Once they are all cut out (you will have to roll out the dough a second or third time to use it all up) place the biscuits on a pan sprayed with cooking spray and brush them with melted butter.
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown. (About 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your biscuits.) Enjoy!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Are you looking for a meal recipe to pair with these Buttermilk Biscuits? Here are some suggestions: Chicken Noodle Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, Hamburg Soup, Italian Sausage Orzo, Sausage Casserole, Carrot Rice Soup, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken, Shepherd’s Pie, Easy Homemade Meat Sauce and Healthy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- Combine yeast with warm water. Stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening until it is a fine crumble. You can use a fork or pastry blender to do this.
- Stir in yeast and buttermilk until just moist.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Put dough on floured surface and knead 5 times.
- Roll out dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with desired round cutter.
- Place on greased baking pan and bake at 450 degrees until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes depending on size.
- Serve and enjoy!
Biscuits can be made larger or small, just be sure to adjust baking time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 557mg Carbohydrates: 55g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g