This Italian Sausage Orzo dish is so delicious, packed with vegetables and easy to make and it is a one pot dish! One pot recipes are the best! I love when there aren’t many dishes left to clean and the whole meal is made in one spot!
How to make Italian Sausage Orzo:
First, dice your pepper and onion. Over medium heat, heat your oil. Add and cook your pepper, onion and sausage until sausage is cooked thoroughly. Then, add garlic salt and pepper and cook for additional minute.
Next, stir in the orzo, broth and sauce. Bring it to a simmer and let cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Once most of the liquid is gone, add your chopped spinach and parmesan cheese. Stir and cook a minute or two until the spinach is wilted.
Serve and enjoy!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you love one pot recipes here are some others to try: Forbidden Rice and Beans, Garlic Broccoli Lo Mein, Carrot Rice Soup, Sweet and Savory Sweet Potato Hash, Lemon Chicken Orzo, Pineapple Pork Fried Rice, and Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/3 cups orzo
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pasta sauce (your favorite)
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped pepper, chopped onion, and sausage to pan. Cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add garlic salt and pepper. Stir to coat vegetables and sausage. Cook 1 additional minute.
- Add orzo, broth and sauce to pan. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently. The liquid should absorb in around 15 minutes depending on the heat of your stove. Don't cook over high heat otherwise orzo will not fully cook.
- Once most of the liquid is absorbed, stir in spinach and cheese.
- Stir and cook until spinach is wilted. About 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to have all ingredients prepped before starting to cook. This dish does require a lot of attention while cooking so chopping or preparing ingredients as you go is hard to do.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 1871mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 19g