This Polynesian Power Grain Bowl is all you could ask for in a bowl… sweet and salty, filling, and gives you all of your colors! In addition, aside from cooking your grains it’s pretty quick to put together and it will keep well in the refrigerator making it a great meal to prep ahead for the week! It can also be served warm or cold.
Important ingredients for your bowl:
We used the Rice Select Royal Blend of Texmati Brown and Red Rice with Barley and Rye for this recipe. The grain mix does take about 45-50 minutes to cook so if you don’t have as much time but want to make this bowl any grain will work. I prefer to cook my grains in bone broth to add some extra protein and flavor. However, if you prefer to skip that and use vegetable broth or water instead this meal would absolutely be vegetarian or vegan.
To make the Polynesian Power Grain Bowl:
First, start the rice since it will take the longest to cook. Combine the rice and bone broth or vegetable broth and cook on high to bring to a boil then lower heat and cook covered until all liquid has been absorbed. Then, peel and chop the sweet potatoes and chop the red bell pepper. Toss in olive oil and cook at 375 degrees until soft, about 30 minutes.
While those are cooking, chop your pineapple and cilantro. Then, steam the edamame. Next, in a mixing bowl combine your ginger, pineapple juice and soy sauce for your dressing. Finally, once the rice, sweet potatoes and peppers are cooked combine everything in the mixing bowl and stir to coat with the dressing. Serve and enjoy!
If you enjoy this grain bowl check out our Forbidden Rice and Beans and Almond and Mandarin Quinoa Salad. For other delicious recipes try our Three Bean Turkey Chili, Carrot Ginger Soup, Turkey Lasagna Soup, Chicken Pot Pie, Fried Eggplant with Arugula Caprese Salad, Turkey Stuffed Peppers, Basil Parmesan Risotto, Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Lasagna, Italian Sausage Orzo, Almond Crusted Chicken, and Italian Pasta Salad.
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 1 cup uncooked Rice Select Royal Blend of Texmati Brown and Red Rice with Barley and Rye
- 2 1/2 cups bone broth (use vegetable broth or water or vegetarian or vegan option)
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup edamame, shelled and steamed
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp dry ginger
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a pot, combine rice and bone broth over high heat. Once boiling reduce to low and cook covered until all broth is absorbed. About 45-60 minutes.
- Mix chopped sweet potatoes and red pepper together with olive oil on a sheet pan. Bake in oven at 375 degrees until tender. About 30 minutes.
- While potatoes and peppers cook, chop pineapple and cilantro.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ginger, pineapple juice and soy sauce with a whisk.
- Once everything is cooked combine in mixing bowl and coat well with dressing.
- Serve and enjoy! This can be served hot or cold.
If you cannot find the rice listed substitute for any grain of your choice!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 704mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 18g